(Contact Info: larry at larryblakeley.com)

Important Note: You will need to click this icon to download the free needed to view most of the images on this Web site - just a couple of clicks and you're "good to go." For reasons why - go here.

A listing and access link to all:
song lyrics and mp3 audio files http://www.royblakeley.name/larry_blakeley/songs/ (all of which are a part of this Web site) can be accessed simply by selecting the "htm" file for the song you want;

poetry http://www.royblakeley.name/larry_blakeley/poetry.htm;

quotations http://www.royblakeley.name/larry_blakeley/quotations.htm; and

essays written by Larry Blakeley http://www.royblakeley.name/larry_blakeley/articles/articles_larry_blakeley.htm,

all of which are used to tell the story in this Web site, can be accessed by going to each respective link set out above.

My son, Larry Blakeley http://www.royblakeley.name/larry_blakeley/larryblakeley_photos_jpeg.htm manages this Web site.

Major Roy James Blakeley (December 10, 1928 - July 22, 1965) - USAF (KIA)

When I was young my dad would say
Come on son let's go out and play

No matter how hard I try
No matter how many tears I cry
No matter how many years go by
I still can't say goodbye

- "I Still Can't Say Goodbye," Performer: Chet Atkins

MP3 audio file/lyrics http://www.royblakeley.name/larry_blakeley/songs/still_cant_say_goodbye.htm

For a larger image click on the photograph.

From: Georgebogs@aol.com

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:17:23 EDT

Subject: Roy Blakeley

To: larry@larryblakeley.com


I came across the Web site you made about your father and read it with great interest. Roy and I were flight commanders at Lakenheath in the 492d Tactical Fighter Squadron. He left months before I did to go to George AFB to fly the F-104, something I thought I would never have the opportunity to do. In 1963, I departed for Luke AFB to be an F-100 Instructor. Four months after arrival, a small program at George, which was training foreign fighter pilots to fly the F-104, was transferred to Luke and expanded to include the training of all German pilots who had just gotten their wings and were to fly the F-104G.

I was lucky to be able become a part of that and with a few others, soon went to George to attend some ground school training and start learning about the new plane. It had a much more advanced radar and fire control system than the model your father was flying, but otherwise, very similar. Roy took me out on the flight line one day to show me what the cockpit looked like in his version.

In 1965, we got a new group commander, newly promoted to Colonel who had just come from George. In talking with him, I learned that he had formerly been Roy's squadron commander. It was he who told me in July about the Chu Lai accident and said he was going to Texas for the funeral. He was going in a two seater TF-104G and asked me to go with him. It is noted in the Web site that we were honorary bearers. I was standing near your mother when the flight of F-104Cs from George flew over. When they lit the afterburners, she was so startled I was afraid she was going to collapse, but she managed to recover.

My wife, Barbara, wrote to Johnnye and is quoted on the Web site. She remembers writing the letter but not what she wrote. She was pleased to be able to see it again. I had no prior knowledge of DjVu but downloaded and installed it to read the entire letter and get the full effect of the Web site. You mentioned another letter from Pat Nevers. She and Joe lived next door to us at Luke. They had come from George, where they knew your father.

One of the sections about the F-104C in Viet Nam was written by Tom Delashaw. He came to Luke about the time I was leaving to go to graduate school, so I didn't get to know him very well. I did see him and talk with him at an air show two years ago in which he was flying a civilian F-104G. I suppose you know, he was killed in a crash last year.

I had planned to go to Viet Nam in the F-104 upon getting an MS in Aero Engineering. Unfortunately, by then, they had been pulled back and in 1968, I went to Phan Rang AB, back again in the F-100.

I hope your mother is well and we would like to hear about her.

George Garey, LtCol, Ret